SF Pilates Surrey Hills is dedicated to health and fitness
Please Note: Shape & Form South Yarra has moved to…
1 The Avenue, Surrey Hills ( Mob: 0418 503 331)
We are dedicated to the area of health and fitness. We provide you with the skills and tools to achieve your potential and an optimum feeling of wellness.
At Shape & Form SF Pilates we strive to maintain the highest teaching standards. We maintain a close association with other health professionals (some of whom are clients) and undergo constant research, incorporating new information as it becomes available.
Heather Novak – Principal Pilates Instructor
For the past ten years Heather Novak (previously Heather Birch) has dedicated herself to the teaching of a Pilates based method of health and fitness. She has been gradually developing her knowledge to a deeper level through extensive practice, reading, research, and discussions with other health professionals.
Heather comes from a classical ballet background, which laid the foundation for the work she does today. Heather graduated from the Australian Ballet School in 1969. She danced with the London Festival Ballet (now The English National Ballet) and The Australian Ballet.
Circumstances cut short Heather’s dance career however, her interest in dance, music and the potential of the human body was ever present. She eventually resumed ballet training and gained a postgraduate diploma of Dance Teaching at Q.U.T. Brisbane 2001.
Heather experimented with different physical activities. Through experience and observation she began to realise that fitness regimes eg. aerobics, gym work and running etc. without skilled supervision, often compound the bad habits of poor posture and poor body alignment, especially when carrying excess body weight.
An introduction to the Pilates method deepened Heather’s fascination for the mind/body connection. Heather’s desire to contribute to the health and well-being in the community led her to undertake Pilates teachers’ training with the A.P.M.A., then to work in a Physiotherapy and Pilates studio before opening Shape & Form in 2002.
The Journey – The Pilates Sessions
- Close supervision is a high priority at Shape & Form SF Pilates to ensure the highest standards are maintained, consequently groups are small. Each client will be given exercises specific to their individual needs, each and everyone working at his/her own pace
- Two individual 1½ of hours introductory sessions are compulsory
- Group sessions are of 1½ hours with a maximum of 2 persons in each group
What To Expect – (How will YOU feel?)
- The 1:1 introductory sessions give us the opportunity to get to know you, your problems, concerns and expectations.
- You will be introduced to a breathing technique which is integral to the Pilatesmethod and its greatest asset.
- Through this breathing technique you will learn how to engage your centre (an area deep within the pelvis) and begin to perform some simple movements, ensuring a sound foundation is established prior to advancing to more complex ones.
- The introductory sessions open your mind to the way you use your body in your everyday life. Having an understanding of how you should sit, stand and walk will set you off on the right road forward.
- Many exercises are performed lying down (on your back, on your side, and on your tummy) as reducing gravity’s pull on the postural muscles, will assist you in re-educating your muscular habits.
What To Expect – (How will YOU feel?)
- Each and every client will be catered for individually with their own specific exercises within the group sessions.
- You will now have the chance to think for yourself and to absorb the information, without the instructor hovering over you 100% of the time. This encourages you to assume greater responsibility for your own body, but to still be closely supervised.
- After each session you should feel a sense of being lighter and taller and moving with greater ease!!
- The studio is well-equipped with specifically designed Pilates equipment, which facilitates the mind/ body connection, stretching and strengthening your muscles simultaneously, and lengthening your spine.